Cleaning gutters and downspouts is very important aspect of maintaining gutters system. Clogged gutters and downspouts can cause damage to your home due to trapped rain water.
How to Clean Gutters
- Place a ladder against the wall to gain access to the roof. To avoid gutter damage, do not place the ladder against any gutters. Also, make sure the ladder is sitting on a stable surface.
- Remove all debris and leaves from gutters by using gutter scoop or by hand. Remember to wear proper gloves if you are going to use hands.
- Dump any glued-on debri with water and wait few minutes. To avoid damaging your gutters, gently remove it with a scoop.
- If you are cleaning gutters alone, place a plastic trash bag or light bucket on the ladder or roof for debris.
- Make sure you unclog all clogged gutters and downspouts. Use a long steady piece of wood or thin metal pipe followed by low pressure water from a garden horse.
- After removing all leaves and debris, use the same garden horse to run water on gutters. This will help you identify if there is any leak on your gutter system.
- Use gutter sealant to repair any leaks found in the previous step. Remember to caulk the joint from inside.
- Cleaning gutters need to be done at least twice a year, before winter and rainy seasons. This will clear all clogged gutters if there are any, and ensures that your gutter drains properly.
Tools You Will Need:
- Bucket or Trash bag
- Heavy duty gloves
- Metal hook for bucket
- Gutter scoop
- Long wooden or metal pipe
- Garden horse
- Paper towel or old cloth
- Gutter sealant
Gutter Cleaning Service
There are local companies which offer gutter cleaning services. These are professionals who their job is cleaning gutters. Depending on your area you live in, you should be able to find gutter cleaning service contact information from your local directory